Since 2005, the University Executive Board has awarded the Renate-Wittern-Sterzel-Prize (Equality Prize) once a year to members and/or institutions at FAU. The prize, worth 10,000 euros, is awarded each year during the ‚Dies academicus‘ celebrations. With the award, the University recognises
- innovative projects for promoting equal opportunities for women and men ,
- exemplary measures for constructively dealing with and encouraging diversity in the organisational culture of FAU with respect to issues such as ethnicity, social background, previous education, religion, age, health problems or disabilities and sexual identity,
- institutions or supervisors making an outstanding contribution towards making FAU family-friendly,
- outstanding quantitative successes relating to gender equality, e.g. the percentage of women appointed to a professorship or reaching targets set out in the target agreements concluded between the University Executive Board and the faculties for increasing the proportion of women in academia,
- excellent academic achievements relating to research into gender equality and diversity research.
The prize can be awarded to members and/or institutions of the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
Amount and purpose of the prize money
The members and/or institutions awarded with the Equal Opportunity Prize of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg are allocated a monetary amount of 10,000 euros. The prize money is used for the continuation of existing activities or the development of new activities or as start-up financing for new projects in the area of gender and diversity at the Friedrich-Alexander University.
Eligible to make suggestions
Suggestions for the award can come from any member of the Friedrich-Alexander-University. Self-application is also possible.
Application for the award
Applications go to:
President of the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg
Prof. Dr. Joachim Hornegger
The informal application should include:
- A brief description of the project or measure in terms of objectives, target group, and time frame.
- Information on the responsible contact person, including telephone number and office address.
- Description of the project’s or measure’s impact on the advancement of women or the promotion of diversity in FAU’s organizational culture.
- Information on the planned use of the prize money
- Copy of the application to the Bureau of Gender and Diversity, Dr. Imke Leicht, Bismarckstr. 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany.
The deadline for proposals or applications is June 04, 2021.
Awarding of the prize
The university management decides on the awarding of the prize on the basis of the recommendation of the Equal Opportunity Commission. The winner of the award will be publicly announced by the University Management and the Women’s Representative of the University. The prize is awarded in each case as part of the „dies academicus“ celebrations of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg on November 4, 2021.
For further inquiries, please contact: